A roundup of some Arkham Horror: The Card Game announcements, previews, community postings and other items of interest from the past week.
Return to the Dunwich Legacy Release
The biggest news of the week was that the Return to the Dunwich Legacy upgrade expansion released on Thursday. I’m currently working on my first run through the updated campaign, using a Minh and Leo pairing to play two-handed solo. It’s still early – I’m only through The Miskatonic Museum – but so far I’m enjoying the experience. I’ve especially liked what I’ve seen so far of the set’s “replacement” encounter sets.
Return to the Dunwich Legacy does have an unfortunate production issue that was spotted pretty quickly after its release, discussed over on this thread on BoardGameGeek. It’s not so much an issue with Return as it is with the Dunwich Mythos Packs; it has to do with a cosmetic change that was made at some point in the past to the unrevealed sides of certain location cards in The Miskatonic Museum, The Essex County Express, and Where Doom Awaits. Early printings of these Mythos Packs featured “blank circle” symbols in the upper left-hand corners of certain locations. These circles were removed in later printings. Return to the Dunwich Legacy uses the “no circle” design for its location cards, so if you have an early printing of one of these Mythos Packs then you’ll be able to tell when an unrevealed card is from Return.
See the image above for an example of what this looks like. We don’t yet know what Fantasy Flight will offer as a fix for players impacted by this, but fortunately it’s only a small number of cards that’s affected.
The Circle Undone Previews
We were treated to a couple of new previews for The Circle Undone this week. First, over on FFG’s site they previewed the box’s sixth and final new investigator (with a bonus look at 1 new Mystic player card). Then, over on Drawn to the Flame, Frank and Peter got to preview another of the expansion’s new Mystic cards. And, though I think this one was technically last week, the Mythos Busters also recently got to unveil a new Survivor card.
At this point it’s likely we’re near the end of the official previews for The Circle Undone. We’ve had quite a bit previewed:
- We know all 6 of the box’s new investigators along with all of their signature cards (though we still don’t know the deckbuilding restrictions for a few of them).
- Between the official previews and the Mythos Busters preview we’ve now seen all 4 Survivor cards.
- We’ve had previews for 3 Mystic cards. In addition, the fourth card is partially visible in a card fan on the Spanish Fantasy Flight site.
- We’ve seen 2 Seeker cards and 2 Rogue cards.
- We know the least about the new Guardian player cards. We know their Tarot asset and we have some partial information on one card (Delay the Inevitable, from the card fan in the initial announcement). We don’t know the main text of Delay the Inevitable and we don’t know anything about their remaining 2 cards.
- We saw 1 Neutral card and 1 new Basic Weakness in the Tarot preview.
As far as I know we don’t have a final release date for the box, but I expect it’s not far off. A January release doesn’t seem to be outside the realm of possibility.
Just yesterday the blog The Strange Solution posted an excellent wrap-up/debrief on the Forgotten Age campaign. It’s a great discussion of what worked and didn’t work this cycle, and I’m in agreement with most of the author’s points about the scenarios and the campaign’s overall mechanics.
That’s it for this roundup. If you’re out there playing Return to the Dunwich Legacy this week, I wish you good luck in your campaign.